Skip to main content

Website Copy Suggestions for "Thoughter" Project

A little over a month back, I had an exchange with someone on Hacker News about their project. I fairly often write website copy for pay, though as a ghostwriter through an online service. I gave them a few suggestions on the website copy for their project.

The project is called Thoughter and this is a copy of the original opening paragraph from the site that I was critiquing:


What Is This?
The first project out of Aytwit's software research labs. Sometimes you want to ask someone a question or tell them a secret and you suspect or hope they're thinking the same thing, but it's uncomfortable to bring up. This is why Thoughter was created. For example let's say it's the holidays and a father and son had a fight a few years ago and haven't spoken since. The father pushes a thought to his son like "I miss you #reunite" that lasts one week. If the son pushes a thought to his father within that time containing the same hashtag then they will both receive an email containing the other's message. Otherwise nothing happens. To help his chances the father can have a hint sent to his son that someone wants to #reunite but it won't say who. It's like the ego-saving technique in high school where a guy asks his friend to ask a girl if her friend likes him, but using internet crypto magic instead.


Here are my suggestions:


Sometimes you want to ask someone a question or tell them a secret and you suspect or hope they're thinking the same thing, but it's uncomfortable to bring up. This is what Thoughter is for!

And they don't even have to know Thoughter exists. You can send them a Hint. But more about that later.

Let's say it's the holidays and you and a loved one had a fight a while back. You aren't sure they would welcome hearing from you. You can send a Thought like "I miss you #reunite" that lasts one week. If your loved one sends the same sort of thing with a matching hashtag, you each get the other's email. If not, nothing happens.

This used to be done much more naturally back when people routinely lived in close-knit communities. People would ask a friend a question and that friend would ask their friend. Word traveled by the grapevine, which helped sort things out.

But in our increasingly mobile world, a lot of grapevines have basically died. This is your modern grapevine, now with Encryption!


Move: "The first project out of Aytwit's software research labs." to much later. Like close with it or something. It's important to you. It mostly isn't important to the process of getting adoption. Making it the first sentence amounts to "noise."


I guess a couple of days back, Doug Koellmer got back to me and said he had used my feedback to help him update the copy on his site. So this is the current opening paragraph (just the copy, not including embedded links):


What Is This?
Sometimes you want to ask someone a question or tell them a secret and you suspect or hope they're thinking the same thing, but it's uncomfortable to bring up. This is what Thoughter is for! For example let's say it's the holidays and you had a fight with a loved one a while back and haven't spoken since. You can push a thought like "I miss you #reunite" that lasts one week. If your loved one happens to push a thought with the same hashtag then you get each other's message. If not, nothing happens. To improve the chance of a match Thoughter can send a hint to your loved one that someone wants to #reunite but it won't say who. Back in the old days this kind of stuff was handled through networks of close personal connections, the grapevine, friends asking friends asking friends. Thoughter is your modern equivalent using internet encryption magic instead.


I asked if he would be okay with me writing about this on my professional site. Because most of the freelance writing I do is ghost writing or is otherwise protected by a Non Disclosure Agreement, I don't have a lot of samples of my work that I can share. This is being posted as a sample of my work and I will likely add a link to this post to my portfolio page at some point.

(Originally published elsewhere by me.)

Popular posts from this blog

Pivoting a Website

The website Aberdeen Art and Music began as an effort to consolidate three older websites into a single website for purposes of trying to create a local walking tour as a tourist asset for this small town. It later took on a new purpose and I was tasked with updating the site to preserve and enhance the existing purpose while making room for new functions. The older websites were static sites that each corresponded to a printed brochure. The brochures and corresponding original websites were logically categorized by type of art: Murals, Critters and Urban Art (mostly sculpture). But much of this art can be found in close proximity in the downtown area, so I wanted to consolidate that information and enhance it to serve as an economic development tool for this small town. The intent was to support a walking tour via smartphone and begin phasing out the printed brochures while still supporting the existing brochures that were still out there and had the old URLs on them. In s

My Work

In the movie The Pickup Artist , Molly Ringwald's character utters my all-time favorite movie line: I'm too truthful to be good. I have apparently always been socially insightful. I was probably the bratty child yelling "The emperor has no clothes" and getting away with being rude, crude and socially unacceptable because I was cute as a button. When you are four, people laugh uncomfortably and don't explain to you why they are laughing. Being four, you stupidly think you are a talented comedian and then you spend your twenties and thirties baffled as to why everyone routinely gives you the death glare and wants your head on a pike instead of appreciating your witty insight and sense of humor. Me being me, I didn't stop being honest. I just tried to find ways to express myself that were less likely to have people wanting my head on a pike. This is a large part of why I blog. I still find social stuff very interesting, I see a need in the world for hig

Local News and Information Online

I recentely read an online article with local news. Nowhere in the article does it actually name the state and the name of the publication is generic enough it doesn't give clues as to the location. I poked around the site and found a county name somewhere, maybe in the same article, maybe in a different article. I googled the city name and the spelling is unusual such that it might be a unique city name though there are definitely other cities with names that sound the same. If this article were printed in a physical newspaper bought locally, using just the city name would be fine. You would know from context exactly which city was intended. But when an article is posted online, people can potentially trip across it from anywhere in the world. You are no longer talking to just locals and even if the city name is unique, not everyone will automatically know that. Don't assume your audience will go digging for more info like I did to try to figure out exactly where