Skip to main content

Hiatus

At one time, this blog was intended to be a business card of sorts, a space to talk about writing and website admin and sell freelance work to people. It didn't really fly and it's sort of reverted to being a personal blog of sorts again, but more work related than my personal blogs used to be.

As noted in my last post on this site, odds are good Celine Dion has heard of me and dismissed me and my health writing out of hand. 

From Medical Internet Literacy:
One of the criticisms I got today about internet literacy was someone saying that big name famous people were promoting a lot of nonsense: Just a sampling of educated people who were pushing this bullshit: Elon Musk (Stanford grad school dropout), Dr Drew (USC MD), Bret Weinstein (UMich PhD), Harvey Risch (Yale).
It's been more than a month since my last post to that site. I don't know if it's worth developing further AT ALL.

I am not aware of any evidence that it's doing any real good for other people and writing about my long, strange healing journey has been all kinds of downside for me. It doesn't make money and I really need more income.

I am highly unlikely to ever prove my ideas via standard scientific and medical channels. I wouldn't really want people to do things out of "faith" in me or because I'm charismatic and likable.

Celine Dion is the celebrity face for the CF community. She likely isn't particularly medically savvy per se but people will be happy to agree with her that I should simply be ignored.

My understanding is her parents let her go into a music career at a young age in part to pay her sister's medical bills. Her public position of being an ally to the CF community may well be a PR position that hides her real feelings about the whole thing.

She is unlikely to say she resented being made to work at such a young age or expected to give up substantial earnings to pay the huge medical bills associated with CF. Any personal objections she may have had are likely to remain a private matter and the CF community is unlikely to ever question her motives, though if they want to get healthier they really should.

On the upside, it took me a LOT of years to learn to write in a fashion that I felt worked and being ignored allowed me to do that with minimal drama. It also means I'm unlikely to be sued by some idiot failing to understand what I've written and DIYing it ANYWAY.

As long as people get medical advice from celebrities rather than scientists and physicians, my work will likely be ignored.

Odds are good that will be for longer than I am likely to live, even if I live to be a hundred.

I wasnt trying to change medicine anyway, just save my life. I did that but have yet to escape poverty.

I need to focus on things I think have some hope of putting money in my pocket and THIS is not it.

Popular posts from this blog

Pivoting a Website

The website Aberdeen Art and Music began as an effort to consolidate three older websites into a single website for purposes of trying to create a local walking tour as a tourist asset for this small town. It later took on a new purpose and I was tasked with updating the site to preserve and enhance the existing purpose while making room for new functions. The older websites were static sites that each corresponded to a printed brochure. The brochures and corresponding original websites were logically categorized by type of art: Murals, Critters and Urban Art (mostly sculpture). But much of this art can be found in close proximity in the downtown area, so I wanted to consolidate that information and enhance it to serve as an economic development tool for this small town. The intent was to support a walking tour via smartphone and begin phasing out the printed brochures while still supporting the existing brochures that were still out there and had the old URLs on them. In s

Local News and Information Online

I recentely read an online article with local news. Nowhere in the article does it actually name the state and the name of the publication is generic enough it doesn't give clues as to the location. I poked around the site and found a county name somewhere, maybe in the same article, maybe in a different article. I googled the city name and the spelling is unusual such that it might be a unique city name though there are definitely other cities with names that sound the same. If this article were printed in a physical newspaper bought locally, using just the city name would be fine. You would know from context exactly which city was intended. But when an article is posted online, people can potentially trip across it from anywhere in the world. You are no longer talking to just locals and even if the city name is unique, not everyone will automatically know that. Don't assume your audience will go digging for more info like I did to try to figure out exactly where

Project: #Eclogiselle

Proposal: Use #Eclogiselle if you are translating my work or developing things related to stuff I am doing and WANT it to be more discoverable and identifiable as related to my projects. (There is "Fine Print" .)